1. Of, affecting, or being on or near the surface: a superficial wound.
2. Concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; shallow.
3. Apparent rather than actual or substantial: a superficial resemblance.
4. Trivial; insignificant: made only a few superficial changes in the manuscript.
1. Lacking in intellectual depth or thoroughness: cursory, one-dimensional, shallow, sketchy, skin-deep, uncritical. See surface/depth.
2. Appearing as such but not necessarily so: apparent, external, ostensible, ostensive, outward, seeming. See surface/depth.
Wow. I am expanding my vocabulary. Not out of curiosity but because superficiality is what I have seen today. I didn’t even have to see it, I just had to hear a conversation as related by one friend. Superficial relations. Superficial people. The artlessness of relationships. The formality of friendships. The show. The disguise. Why sweep the mud under the carpet, when there is no need for a carpet? Why dust the floor when you have no ground? I have a lot of why’s and I know the answer to all the whys. Superficiality. It’s easier to hide than confront. It’s easier to mask than reveal. It’s easier to be everything but yourself because that is the hardest to be. And especially because you have no idea what yourself is.